12/25/2005

My Left Wing :: Would you consent to the torture of 1 terrorist if it saved NYC from a nuke ?

Top diary at MLW! Weeee!!!!!

Would you consent to the torture of 1 terrorist if it saved NYC from a nuke ?
by: lawnorder
December 23, 2005 at 20:15:17 America/Chicago



Scott Addams on his blog asks:

If you think there's no moral justification for torture, would you accept the nuclear destruction of NYC (for example) to avoid torturing one known terrorist?

A lot of interesting answers follow, including mine but my favorite is from "Richard"

it makes me ill to see stupid people judging those [who tortured] who are out there everyday risking their own lives to save the lives of those that are at the same time judging them so irreverently.

That said, having served in the armed forces, served during the gulf war, served in close combat and having been wounded by an enemy trying to kill me, let me tell you what I believe in.
I believe in the American ideal. I believe in everything that our forefathers, and many since them, fought and died for, and I would gladly lay down my life to defend those ideals and this American way of life, and any of you out there whether I agree with you or not. Part of those ideals that I would violently defend is the morality with which we live our daily lives. And although morality seems to be a lost cause these days, I still believe it is one of the truths on which this country was founded. And as such, departing from our own convictions for the sake of "preventing another attack" or any other reason is NOT what I was fighting for.

When this great America betrays its own moral compass for a few scraps of intelligence that may or may not prevent another attack, have we not lost what America stands for?



Critical Thinking :: lawnorder :: Would you consent to the torture of 1 terrorist if it saved NYC from a nuke ?


My Left Wing :: Would you consent to the torture of 1 terrorist if it saved NYC from a nuke ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home