10/07/2005

Daily Kos: Scott McClellan Calls Bush Absurd!!!!

Scott McClellan Calls Bush Absurd!!!!
by mitch2k2
Thu Oct 6th, 2005 at 16:03:42 CDT

When I'd heard sometime in the last couple of days that, according Palestinian officials interviewed in a BBC television documentary, George Bush had claimed he'd been instructed by God to invade Iraq, it had a distinct ring of familiarity to it. I know that story, I said; why, I'd even written about it, mentioned it somewhere....but, as it was old news to me, I didn't think to comment on the matter.

Until I saw this on the BBC site:

The White House has dismissed as "absurd" allegations made in a BBC TV series that President Bush claimed God told him to invade Iraq.

"He's never made such comments," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said.

The comments were attributed to Mr Bush by the Palestinian negotiator Nabil Shaath in the upcoming TV series Elusive Peace: Israel and the Arabs. [...]

working backwards, I verified my own source of the information asan article in the Israeli daily Haaretz from nearly a year before that, June of 2003, in the days following the Aqaba summit. Snatched from the memory hole....

And the information that time was coming directly from Palestinian PM Abbas:

Abbas said that at Aqaba, Bush promised to speak with Sharon about the siege on Arafat. He said nobody can speak to or pressure Sharon except the Americans.

According to Abbas, immediately thereafter Bush said: "God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them."

Just for clarity's sake, might I suggest some enterprising reporter ask PM Abbas to comment on the matter?

Cross-posted at The Thorn Papers. Y'all come by now.

Daily Kos: Scott McClellan Calls Bush Absurd!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home