10/05/2005

Daily Kos: President Albert Gore Speaks: A-men

President Albert Gore Speaks: A-men
by GernBlanzten [Subscribe]
Wed Oct 5th, 2005 at 13:59:00 CDT

My (Gern's) personal commentary here (an update): Personally, I feel I need to believe in SOMEONE right now. A national leader. Each day when I open the papers, and read what's going on in this country--the lives that have been lost, and the state of our politics--my face begins to tighten...my arms tense...and a large part of me thinks-- WHEN ... WILL ...THIS ... END? Right now, Gore gives me that. Someone to believe in. Someone who is speaking the truth. Largely without political considerations. Without having a constituency to payoff in some unimaginable way. That doesn't mean I'll support him in '08. But it does mean that--right now, in so many, many ways--maybe most importantly as simply a symbol of hope--he is MY President. He survived the purgatory. Indeed, he's thrived these past 5 years. He's MY president. And no amount of cheating and stealing of elections will change my conclusions in that regard.

* GernBlanzten's diary :: ::
*

Remarks by Al Gore as prepared
Associated Press / The Media Center
October 5, 2005
I came here today because I believe that American democracy is in grave danger. It is no longer possible to ignore the strangeness of our public discourse . I know that I am not the only one who feels that something has gone basically and badly wrong in the way America's fabled "marketplace of ideas" now functions.

How many of you, I wonder, have heard a friend or a family member in the last few years remark that it's almost as if America has entered "an alternate universe"?

I thought maybe it was an aberration when three-quarters of Americans said they believed that Saddam Hussein was responsible for attacking us on September 11, 2001. But more than four years later, between a third and a half still believe Saddam was personally responsible for planning and supporting the attack.

Daily Kos: President Albert Gore Speaks: A-men

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home