The army was doing far more harm to me privately.. I was being charged with adultery..

In a crazed attempt to turn his wife against him, military intel went to his home and convinced his wife that the former muslim chaplain was having an affair... His wife attempted suicide upon hearing the charges.. Are this people HUMAN ? Are those the ones in charge with "protecting our freedoms" ?!?! -- law

I still don’t understand how the misguided suspicions of a few inexperienced soldiers led to the ordeal that changed my life, tore apart my family and destroyed my career.

While my plane headed home to the US on September 10, 2003, representatives of at least five government agencies awaited me at the Jacksonville air station... After my arrest I was sure that General Miller would order my release. He ran a tight ship and he was a tough leader, but he was a general and he would therefore be fair. But when I was at last arraigned at a pre-trial hearing, I was presented with a memorandum signed by Miller that stated: “Chaplain Yee is known to have associated with known terrorist sympathisers.” ..He added: “Yee is suspected of several extremely serious crimes, including espionage, which potentially carries the death penalty.”.. I was too cut off from the world to know that .. the government was slandering me in the press.. After a month I learnt that I was not going to be charged with spying, sedition or aiding the enemy after all but with the “slap on the wrist” charges.. But my hopes quickly vanished when my lawyer told me that the army was saying that more serious charges might still be brought...

At another pre-trial hearing, investigators claimed I was part of a spy ring. The press repeated false information from anonymous government sources that it was one of the most dangerous spy rings to be discovered in the US military since the cold war.

The army was doing far more harm to me privately. Martha Brewer, an agent with the Department of Defence Criminal Investigative Service, went to my apartment near Seattle and told Huda, my wife: “Your husband is not the person you think he is. He’s having an affair with three women.”

She produced photographs of me with female colleagues on social occasions at Guantanamo in what was clearly a desperate attempt to turn Huda against me. Although these photographs would have been acceptable to most people, Brewer clearly understood that given her traditions, Huda would be particularly upset to see me photographed with women. Huda later told me she was so distressed that some days she couldn’t get out of bed and all she could do was cry.

On November 25, with no serious charges in sight, I was suddenly released from custody. But the same day news bulletins announced that I was being charged with adultery (a criminal offence in the military) and with downloading pornography on a government computer. By revealing the new charges on the day of my release from prison, the army had captured the story.

I called Huda and had one of the most difficult experiences of my entire ordeal. She told me that when she had learnt of the new accusations, she had searched out my Smith & Wesson .38 special handgun, which I kept on the top shelf in my cupboard, hidden from view.

“I’m holding it in one hand,” she told me, “and two rounds in the other.”

“Put it down,” I said firmly, fear rising inside of me.

“Tell me how to use it,” she whispered. She said that she couldn’t deal with this any longer and wanted to be free from everything — the media, the scrutiny, the idea that the United States government could be doing this to our family. It was not the first time that Huda had suggested a desire to die since my arrest, but it had never gone this far.

I didn’t know what to do. She hung up and when I called back several times, she didn’t answer. Finally I called the local police department. They sent officers to our apartment, who took Huda to a nearby hospital against her will. She was released after several hours, but the police kept the gun. I could not be with her. I was forbidden to leave my military base.

In February last year my lawyers reached a deal with the army that the criminal charges would be dismissed and I would resign my commission with a recommendation for an honourable discharge from Miller and other senior officers. Even so, the military continued to whisper that I was indeed a threat to the nation but it was somehow in the interest of security to drop the case against me. Miller found me guilty of adultery.. Two months later — by which time my case had become a cause celebre — I won an appeal against his decision.

After the charges against me were dropped and it became obvious that the government had erred, many newspaper editorials were written to demand that the military issue an apology.

Of course I want an apology, but it will not restore my marriage which has suffered irreparable damage from the vindictive claims that the military made..

An American in chains - Review - Times Online


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home