9/15/2005

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Blame Nagin) : False

Claim: New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin and Louisiana governor Kathleen Blanco refused President Bush's pleas to declare an emergency in Louisiana before Hurricane Katrina struck.

Status: False.

The claim that "the President declared the area a national disaster area before the state of Louisiana did" appears to be based on an erroneous statement made by an unnamed Bush administration official, as reported in the Washington Post...

As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.

In fact, Governo Blanco had already declared a state of emergency for the state of Louisiana eight days earlier (26 August). The Washington Post later issued a correction to their article, noting that "A Sept. 4 article on the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina incorrectly said that Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D) had not declared a state of emergency. She declared an emergency on Aug. 26."

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Politics (Blame Nagin)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home