9/15/2005

One Foot in the Grave - A blog from an US soldier in Iraq

Sgt Sgt. Thomas Strickland, 27 died in Iraq on August 15, 2005
Strickland, who aspired to teach English, was recalled by friend Mark Kraft as a gifted writer and poet.

He wrote this on his weblog Aug. 13, two days before the accident:

MotherFucker.

I'm back home.

Mahmudijah.

The Mahm.

St. Michael.

What have you.

My truck, which I left here in good working order, is destroyed mostly.

The insurgency is on the rise in our area, with a most impressive coordinated assault on one of my sister FOBs (St. Joe) under their belt. Apparently they have enough folks and sophistication in my back yard where they can simultaneously place accurate mortar rounds on three seperate locations (at least 30k apart) to tie up any ground mounted quick reaction forces, as well as offer up multiple RPG strikes on the guard towers at Joe. These RPG attacks really bring out the QRF who face their own ambush as they come out the gate, at least 12 insurgents occupying buildings with an overwatch position to Joe's only entrance armed with more rpg's and small arms. The only possible responses are tanks or Apaches. Luckily we have both on call. 12 dead insurgents, destroyed buildings, a compromised FOB, sustained, accurate and unaswered indirect fire and lots o unanswered questions later... I'm here.

What the fuck has my chain of command been doing? We were winning somewhat when I left...


One Foot in the Grave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home