Great Flood of 1993 - FEMA, Army Corps, Feds, Locals all worked together

he Great Flood of 1993 was a huge, costly, and devastating flood that occurred in the American Midwest from April to October of 1993. It was the worst such U.S. disaster since the Great Mississippi Flood of 1927, as measured by duration, square miles inundated, persons displaced, crop and property damage, and number of record river levels. In some categories, it surpassed even the 1927 flood...

Starting as early as June 7, reports of levees being overtopped and levee breaks became common. These breaches acted to delay the flood crests, temporarily storing excess water in the adjacent lowlands, but the rain kept falling.

July brought more heavy rain to the Missouri and upper Mississippi River basins in Missouri, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Illinois and Minnesota. Rainfall amounts of 5 to 7 inches (125 to 175 mm) in 24 hours were common. Precipitation for the month averaged from one inch (25 mm) above normal at St. Louis and Springfield, to between six and seven inches (150 to 175 mm) above normal at Columbia and Kansas City, Missouri. The copious rain amounts during July sent record setting crests down the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, causing river gages to malfunction along the way. Both record crests met each other at their confluence near St. Louis within days of each other.

From July 11 until July 22 the Des Moines, Iowa Water Works treatment facility was flooded by the Raccoon River. This resulted in the plant being powered down and no running water for that period. During this time the Army National Guard and American Red Cross set up water stations, and the local Anheuser-Busch bottler distributed water in white 6-packs with their logo on it. Once running water was restored there was enough pressure to bathe and flush toilets, but the water was not certified potable until July 29. The final usage restrictions were lifted in August.
Water encroaching on the City of Alton, Illinois

The Mississippi River stalled a few days at the April 1973 record stages, seemingly waiting for the Missouri River to arrive, before pushing levels upwards again, breaking levees, driving people and their possessions to higher ground and causing havoc with anything in its path.

The crests, now combined as one, moved downstream through St. Louis and Chester on its way to the confluence with the Ohio River at Cairo, Illinois. Only minor flooding occurred below the Ohio due to the drought the eastern U.S. was facing the same time; if the Ohio River watershed had not been in drought conditions, the 1993 flood could have rivaled the 1927 flood in overall damage on the lower Mississippi.

Major sandbagging activities were underway on the lower Missouri River, the River des Peres in St. Louis, the Mississippi River south of St. Louis and on many other tributaries across Missouri and Illinois. Some of these efforts were successful while others were not as the river continued to spawn destruction.
Volunteers sandbagging to protect life and property

Over 1,000 flood warnings and statements, five times the normal, were issued to notify the public and need-to-know officials of river levels. In places like St. Louis, river levels were nearly 20 feet (6 m) above flood stage and had never been this high in its 150 year history. The 52 foot (16 m) St. Louis Floodwall, built to handle the volume of the 1844 flood, was able to keep the 1993 flood out with just over two feet to spare.

On August 1, levee breaks near Columbia, Illinois flooded 47,000 acres (190 km²) of land, inundating the towns of Valmeyer and Fults, Illinois. The released water continued to flow parallel to the river, approaching the levees protecting historic Prairie du Rocher and Fort de Chartres. On August 3, the Corps of Engineers made the tough decision to break through the stronger Mississippi River levee to allow the water back into the river. The innovative plan worked and the historic areas were saved.
Eads Bridge at St. Louis, Missouri

On the Missouri River it was estimated that nearly all of the 700 privately built agricultural levees were overtopped or destroyed. Navigation on the Mississippi and Missouri River had been closed since early July resulting in a loss of $2 million (1993) per day in commerce....

Some locations on the Mississippi River were in flood for almost 200 days while locations on the Missouri neared 100 days of flooding. On the Mississippi, Grafton, Illinois, recorded flooding for 195 days, Clarksville, Missouri, for 187 days, Winfield, Missouri, for 183 days, Hannibal, Missouri, for 174 days, and Quincy, Illinois, for 152 days.

Great Flood of 1993 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home