8/14/2005

Crawford: I Am An Iraq War Veteran and I support Cindy

I plan to give all I can for this movement. Because losing a child to war or killing a child for war carry a cost no one should pay. God intended better for all of us. But we have to choose peace. Free will is a gift from God. Now we have to use it. After all what would Jesus do?

I Am An Iraq War Veteran
by Japhet
Sun Aug 14th, 2005 at 10:36:09 CDT

I met Hart a few days ago here at Crawford. The personal stories here are amazing to listen to and report. Here is one from Austin, TX and has been here in Crawford for two days now. he wrote this for yesterday evening after all the activities.

My name is Benjamin Hart Viges and I am a veteran of this current war in Iraq. After September 11th I thought joining the army was a way to solve the problem we as Americans were facing. After spending a year in Iraq I was given a first hand experience of war. It showed me that the occupation was spurring on further violence which is contrary to why they told us we were there. When I came back I filed for Conscientious Objector status. After ten months I received CO status and was released from the army honorably.

* Japhet's diary :: ::
*

This being my first day in Crawford I was just trying to take in everything. Cindy's quest to speak with the President is a spark in this movement that we need. That coupled with the work of other Gold Star Families for Peace, Military Families Speak Out, Code Pink, Veterans for Peace, Iraq Veterans Against the War, and individuals from across the country working together is hope that we can move this mountain before us. All of this can seem overwhelming at times. All of these people taking responsibility to save lives and to make this world a better place. Everyone here is a superhero to me.

To describe the relationship between the veterans and The Gold Star Families is beyond my ability to define. These parents could easily be my parents. I keep asking myself, Why did the roadside bomb spare me but not their child? I don't have a child but I won't argue when I hear that the greatest pain is in losing a child; especially for a lie.

The Vietnam Veterans here have been a huge help to me. They are father figures to us new veterans. They know what we are going through. I just hope I won't have to take their role ten or twenty years down the line. But they have been a shining example for me.

I plan to give all I can for this movement. Because losing a child to war or killing a child for war carry a cost no one should pay. God intended better for all of us. But we have to choose peace. Free will is a gift from God. Now we have to use it. After all what would Jesus do?

Daily Kos: I Am An Iraq War Veteran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home