7/03/2005

Extreme Nationalism at the service of a dictatorship: "Ufanismo" in Brazil

The “Ufanismo” – Nationalism as a political weapon

After the 1964 military coup, the government started to use of propaganda to obtain the affection of the people and generate a sensation of generalized optimism, aiming at to hide the problems of the military regimen. There were also taglines and songs that appeared then in support of the government. The most popular sticker among government supporters was "Brazil: Love it or Leave it " and was plastered all over car windows. Also, some artists played the role of advertisers of the regimen helping the government strategy of incentive to the optimism. A good example is the song "Brazil I love you".

.. The sky of my Brazil has more stars.
The sun of my country, glorious
The hand of God blessed Brazil,
In Brazilian lands I go to plant love.

I love you, my Brazil, I I love you!
My heart is [flag colored]
I love you, my Brazil, I I love you!
Nobody can beat the youth of Brazil….

The nights of Brazil have more beauty..

I love you, my Brazil, I I love you!
My heart is [flag colored]...

The execution of hymns in honor of the regimen was common:

"This is a country that goes forward
Rô Rô Rô Rô Rô
Of people so friendly and happy
Rô Rô Rô Rô Rô
This is a country that goes forward
Rô Rô Rô Rô Rô
It is a country that sings, works and grows into a giant
It is the Brazil of our love "

Soccer or Bread and Circus

The national passion for soccer was also used to promote the dictatorship views. In the 1970 world cup, the hymn "Go Forward Brazil !" appeared:

"Ninety Million in Action
Go Forward Brazil !
Dear to my Heart
All together we go
Go Forward Brazil !
It saves our soccer team
Suddenly there is this good will chain pushing forward
It seems that all of Brazil is holding hands
All together joined in the same emotion
Everything joined in one single heart
All together we go
Go Forward Brazil !
It saves our soccer team

President Médici demanded the inclusion of soccer playerf Dadá Wonder into Brazil’s team.. Dada was co-author of the hymn “Go Forward Brazil !". He influenced decisively in the resignation of then coach João Saldanha in the eve of the 1970 World cup [who said: I don’t give the President advice on how to run a country and he doesn’t give me orders on how to run the team].

The left militants started to paraphrase Marx, citing that "the soccer is the opium of the people". The concern with the soccer was that much of the national team’s administration and coaching was given to friends of the government. Pelé refused to participate on the 1974 World Soccer Cup for disagreeing with the use of politics in soccer

Consequences

The "ufanismo", i.e. the exacerbated nationalism promoted by the military regimen ended up having the most serious consequences for the national culture and arts. As the government started to associate everything that was good of Brazil to the military regimen, the people immediately passed to reject everything that had a nationalist flavor to it. Moreover, the entrance of the North American products, and the surge of new fads between the young, the radio stations being invaded with foreign songs exacerbated this cultural distancing from nationalism. Meanwhile, the national movie movement started to decay and so did theatre and art. It is strange for Americans to see someone burning a flag, but that act would be common in Brazil, at the time, had it not been forbidden by the military junta. Young Brazilians had been raised despising the Brazil colors, because it meant the same as the military government they despised… After the dictatorship crumbled, kids, adults and seniors could be heard on the streets saying "watch out! You are about to step on Brazil" in reference to dog poop.

It was a sad end to the political manipulation of national pride and love for your own country...

Military blow of 1964 - Wikip�dia

Golpe militar de 1964 - Wikip�dia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home