8/09/2004

We’ll solve it tomorrow somehow...

I was reading Bob Zangas' Journey In Iraq, a diary of an ex-marine on his second tour in Iraq. He was killed on March 9, 2004 .On his last post he said:

this relying on the Americans must come to an end. We’ll solve it tomorrow some how...

...I love Marines. I hope they don’t get burned out.

OK….that’s enough for today.

Hang on to your dreams!

Bob

I hope we will "solve it" Bob. We owe it to you and your family. You did more than most to help solve it and you and yours paid the ultimate price

Bob arriving for his second tour on December 2003
As you may know, this is my second trip to Iraq. I was here for about 6 months with the USMC this past year. I was working as a Civil Affairs Officer in the 4th Civil Affairs Group then. This time, however, I am a civilian: Wearing civilian clothes, growing my hair, and singing Kumbya on my guitar.

My real job will be with the Coalition Provisional Authority working in the Public Affairs department. That means I'll be hanging out with members of the media, journalists, and other folks bent on spreading the news about what is happening here in Iraq. I may even get a chance to do some good!

Last Post on March 6, 2004 (Bob was killed on March 9, 2004)
I was able to provide the Human Rights Group here in Hilla with some equipment for their media center. Their response was, “we would also like to have…..” It is a bit disheartening. I know it is not my money that I am giving away and I am not interested in receiving thanks. But it points out to the fact that this is a society that is in desperate need of everything.

It is like pouring a cup of water out in a dry desert. The water disappears and you are left with the feeling of “did it do any good?” Sometimes the answer is “yes.” Sometimes the answer is “no.” Sometimes you wait for the flower to grow. I don’t mean to sound depressed because I am not. I am enjoying this work immensely. It is very gratifying…as long as the flowers grow eventually. I have hope that they will.

About getting Iraqis self sufficient
... MAN O DAY! This is a grown man. Old enough to be my father (well, maybe not THAT old!) and he is asking me for help in solving the matter. I am tempted to help him out and throw around my “America to the rescue” attitude. But, this relying on the Americans must come to an end. We’ll solve it tomorrow some how.

On the day to day in Baghdad
We work just about every day here with no "day off." And, if we do take a day off, there is nowhere to really go. So it only means that we don't sit in our office in front of our computer all day. Some people would rather work because there is not much else to do. (I, on the other hand, have plenty of things to do to keep me entertained—guitar, exercising, this web site are just a few things.) We don't leave the campus. So, it isn't like you can escape to a park or go shopping, fishing, out to dinner, etc. Most of us have room mates; so there is no going to your room to escape other people.

Don’t get me wrong, for the most part we all get along. There are about 250 of us here: Americans, British, Scottish, Australian, Polish, and a few Texans. We all hang out together. But there is really not much of a choice in the matter. We work, eat and relax with each other. Most people work day and night, 7 days a week. Relaxing usually includes talk of work. If you are a workaholic, this is a workaholic's paradise! I do work quite a bit. But I am also getting good at playing my guitar.

On recently arrived marines, who had never been in Iraq before
It is almost funny to watch the difference between what [rookies] do and what the Army did with respect to operations. I love Marines. I hope they don’t get burned out.

We will all hang on to your dreams Bob!
OK….that’s enough for today.

Hang on to your dreams!

Bob

One journey ends, another starts...
3/13/2004 - LtCol Troy Smith USMC

The Marines located in the Coalition Provisional Authority's Baghdad location are planning a memorial service for our fellow Marine. Our thoughts and prayers are with LtCol Zangas' family

Outpouring of support and grief from all over the world
thank you to everyone who is posting kind words on Bob's web site.

It is evident that the impact of the loss of this wonderful man extends beyond our household. His three young children and I mourn his death, and there is comfort in knowing that others recognize and appreciate his sacrifice for our country. Bob was a true patriotic American, humanitarian and marine, but first and foremost he was a father and husband. He loved having a family. In turn, he was well loved and deserves every honor and kind word bestowed upon him.


Brenda Zangas

God he was so young!


May God bless Bob and his family...

1 Comments:

Blogger Carnacki said...

Great post

5/28/2005 09:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home